Everyone likes to be appreciated! Recognizing your employees for a job well done is an important part of helping to ensure continued employee engagement. Your team, and people who work with your team, want to know that you value the work they put in for you.
According to an OfficeTeam survey, while nearly nine in 10 (89 percent) senior managers said their organization is very or somewhat effective at showing appreciation to workers, three in 10 (30 percent) employees gave their firms low marks when it comes to recognizing their achievements. That’s an unfortunate disconnect. To make sure your company is in the 70 percent of businesses that are getting it right, here are a few ideas to incorporate in your employee recognition program.
- Say thank you! This one is SO simple, and yet so few bosses actually manage to take the time to do it. Verbally acknowledging your employees’ great work goes a long way toward improving employee morale. Be specific in letting them know how their actions can improve customer or client loyalty or company efficiencies or production.
- Put your thanks in writing. In addition to verbally thanking an employee, write an email copying their manager (if they’re not on your team), as well as senior executives about the employee’s great work. If your employees receive emails such as these, don’t forget to save them in their personnel files, and send a copy to your human resources department. These kudos can be helpful come review, raise, promotion, or bonus time.
- Publicize employee achievements. Writing about outstanding work by your employees in the company newsletter, on the company intranet, or at a staff meeting definitely is a “feel-good” for the honoree. It can also encourage others to strive to do better in order to receive the same publicity.
- Give a token of appreciation. A gift card to a local restaurant or shop (provided you know the employee’s taste); movie passes, a day off, and a small snack stipend; tickets to sporting events or concerts are all great, cost-effective gifts to give to employees who go above and beyond on a project.
- Our absolute favorite idea! We’ve been in business for nearly 60 years, and we’re the very best at what we do, so we know a thing or two about recognition. A trophy, plaque or other physical award that represents a job well done, is always appreciated. We strive to produce employee recognition products that will showcase the talents and accomplishments of each award recipient. Our custom awards are guaranteed to put a smile on your employees’ faces.
Keep in mind that recognition doesn’t always have to cost money, but ensuring the employee has something to remember their achievement by is a great morale booster. If we at Woltman Trophies can help you improve (or start) an employee recognition program, please get in touch with us today. We’re delighted to help!